Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving in Review . . .




We thoroughly enjoyed the day. I made rolls and pie the night before (and of course, made a sampling of each!) The morning of, we got up and ready, and straightened the house up so we could make the traditional Thanksgiving mess.

Once the food preparation was sort of under control, we all sat down to do a puzzle. We thought this might be a good alternative to the games we sometimes play with the kids. The problem with games is that typically there can be only one winner, and with two kids playing, in the end we all lose because someone is usually crying (and it's usually not Parker)! With a puzzle, however, there is no winner, just a finished product. We narrowly escaped a showdown over who got to place the last piece by letting everyone put that piece in together.

After dinner, and to celebrate the deliciously low gas prices, we went on a drive, which is one of our favorite things to do. When we came home, we capped off the day with pumpkin pie and hot chocolate. All in all, a pretty fat feast and a fun day spent together!

A few turkey feather highlights: At the beginning of each November we put up a turkey and add a few new feathers each day where we write one of our blessings. Some of my favorites from Madelyn included being thankful "for the earth," and "the pilgrems." Parker was thankful for "lits (lights)," and his "bode (body)."

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you and your family had a great thanksgiving. I love what your kids wrote about their blessings. I love pulling out papers when my kids started writing and seeing how they spelled things. So cute!

Elise said...

I'm glad you had a good thanksgiving. My brother and I used to fight over everything, including who got to put in the last puzzle piece. I used to hide one and then pull it out just in time, I would sneak it in while he was looking around on the floor for a missing piece. Oh I was a brat!