Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ode to the Humble Homemade Playdough

I don't have pictures to go with this entry as we are in the process of setting up our new camera to be friends with our computer, but I wanted to pass along my favorite playdough recipe.
I needed something to keep the kids entertained yesterday while I prepped the kids' rooms for painting and I remembered a new box of neon-colored food dye I purchased a couple of weeks ago just for playdough. I quadrupled the batch (I needed them to be REALLY entertained!) and with four new colors for them to squish, mold, and cut, I was able to finish the prep work! And as an added bonus for me, they didn't even get any playdough in their hair!

Here's the recipe:
1 c. water
1/2 c. salt
1 c. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 T. cooking oil
food coloring

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until it pulls away from the sides. Knead in for a minute once it cools then store in some sort of plastic.

(Note: If you're making a large batch and want to make the playdough into different colors, just add the dye when you're kneading instead of adding it to all the other ingredients in the saucepan.)

6 comments:

Kasey said...

I like the new look and family photo. You'll have to post pics of the kid's rooms. Can't wait to see them.

Maile said...

I also love the new look of your blog. And I might just have to pull out the playdough today to get the kids involved in a project that doesn't involve pulling my yarn supply all over the house. :)

Robyn said...

If you need more time to work on your project, I'd love to have your kids over to play--let me know if I can help!

Unknown said...

I need to try this for my three year old. She gets pretty bored and lonely when her brother and sister are at school! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Jennie, I can't believe how much your kids have grown! This is Kirstie Bastow by the way! I just love your blog!

Jess said...

How is the painting going? I have been thinking about you this week, let me know if you need anything. Oh and the cookies were fantastic! Thanks for the help.