Sunday, March 1, 2009

Making a Splash




Winter is still very much alive and kickin' here in our part of the country, but yesterday Madelyn and Parker started swimming lessons. It seemed a little strange to bundle them up in full winter gear and head off to swim, but that's exactly what we did!

Parker had not done lessons yet and felt a little nervous, thinking he might have to put his whole face underwater for 20 minutes straight (that's the preschool equivalent of .1 second), but it didn't take him long to figure out the water was warm and that this would be a great way to spend Saturday mornings for the forseeable future :)


Madelyn did a great job as well. Her first swim lessons were when she was just younger than Parker and it took several lessons before she stopped crying and was willing to loosen the vice grip around the teacher's neck when she was in the water. Oh what a difference a couple of years makes! Yesterday she got right in the water and within minutes was going across the pool holding onto nothing but a noodle. I can't wait to see her progress!


In other news, namely the kitchen, I tried a new recipe this week that I came across on the blog http://www.chocolateonmycramium.blogspot.com/ (how could I not love a blog with that name?!) It was wonderfully simple and I thought I would pass it on.


Triple Chocolate Brownies


1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding
1 package (18.25 oz) chocolate cake mix
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Whisk in cake mix. Stir in chocolate chips. The mixture will be very thick. Spread into a greased 10 x 15 x 1 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top springs back. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 4 dozen.


They are lighter than a traditional brownie, but are wonderful nonetheless.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

I need to sign Stella up again. She loved it. Brownies sound fab!!

Robyn said...

Looks like they had fun! My kids just finished a round of swim classes at the Y, and it was so great to have something active to do in all this cold weather.

Maile said...

I need to look around for swimming lessons. I feel like my kids miss out on a lot of those types of activities due to where we live because they either don't have them or they cost a small fortune.

Unknown said...

These brownies sound delicious! Your kids are cute at their swimming lessons. I need to get mine signed up soon too!