Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Conquering of Toad Rock

It is becoming a tradition that when we are in Utah we must hike to Toad Rock. It is part way up a mountain near where my mom grew up. I remember hiking to this boulder on our Utah visits when I was a child. It used to be that you felt like you were in the wilderness once you hiked up there, but with the way the area has grown, you now feel more like you're in the neighbor's back yard!

Adam and I took Madelyn, Parker, and Meredith on the hike, leaving Rhece home with Grandma Tamara. In retrospect, Meredith probably would have enjoyed a play date with Grandma too since this is how she was hiked up there :)


Here is the earthen toad in all her glory.

Here we are before anyone had climbed to the top of the rock.

This is the view of the valley below. I love this view so much!

Once we got to Toad Rock we thought the kids would like to climb to the top of it. Madelyn refused, and consequently, so did Parker. Sensing a fear that needed to be overcome, Adam climbed to the top and encouraged the kids to do the same. Seeing him up there safe and sound, Madelyn decided that she might be able to try it. She was really nervous and tense, but I saw a look of sheer determination set in on her face. I love watching her go after something that makes her nervous and then seeing the confident smile flash across her face as she realizes that she can do it. That is what this picture below captured when she was about half way up the rock.

The look of sweet success!


Unfortunately the more determined Madelyn was to make it to the top, the more determined Parker was to stay at the bottom. He did eventually get to the middle but refused to go up any higher. Maybe next time :)

4 comments:

Maile said...

I know I used to enjoy hiking to toad rock when I was younger, but I have yet to take my kids up there. We'll have to make it a priority the next time we're at Grandma's. I have a feeling my kids would love climbing a toad. :)

Elise said...

Fun tradition to start with your own kids. Congrats to Madelyn for making it to the top! I bet Parker will do it next time.

Elise said...

By the way I never congratulated you on the newest addition to your family he is so sweet and I love his name! I wish I looked as good as you in my hospital pictures. ;)

Kasey said...

pretty view. CAn't wait to have you back.