I had some great pictures of raking fall leaves that we took this week. However, they seem to have disappeared into thin air and I can't find them anywhere on my computer! So you'll just have to trust me, the fall colors are beautiful and we had fun raking long enough to make piles that the kids could jump into with a running leap.
Yesterday Adam took his annual orthopaedic exam. He has studied hard for a couple of months now and we are so happy for him that it is over. Following the test all the residents and their families got together for a pizza party hosted by one of the program directors. Adam is working at the "quiet" hospital right now which means that he has really normal hours and rarely goes in over night when he's on call. We love having him around so much more! (Note: He wants me to clarify that he's not "sitting around on his duff" and that even though he has better hours now, he is still working!)
I was editing pictures the other day and, in the process, looked through our 7 years of marriage. Seeing all of those pictures made me realize how blessed we are. I have not been a scrapbooker, primarily because the process seems overwhelming, but I realized that family pictures provide more than just memories, they provide much-needed perspective. The jobs I do each day are repeated day after day, year after year. It's sometimes easy to forget that I am doing something much larger that just preparing meals, cleaning house, teaching children, washing clothes, etc. I am raising a family. And, although each of my daily jobs may not be done perfectly or in a timely manner (that would be the laundry!), I am still accomplishing the ultimate goal of raising a family. We are not a perfect family, but we area happy one. So, although I still won't be a scrapbooker, I think I will get more of these pictures into tangible books so that I can have that perspective and reality check more frequently, especially on days when I just really don't want to sweep the floor one more time!
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Thanks for bringing it back to light. I too get caught up in the routines and forget the big picture. Thanks!!
I love looking through my pictures too. I am not a scrapbooker either though. You said it well when you said to look at the big picture! Have a great day!
I'm so happy for all of you that Adam's done with his test and has more time with the family.
I have become a scrapbooker the last couple years. (Let me know if you think you might want to start in any way and I'd be happy to share my perspective and opinions on how to scrapbook in a way that's not too stressful.) Scrapbooking doesn't have to be complicated, but it's one of the single biggest things that helps me keep the perspective you talked about. I always did really well in school because I work well with deadlines and assignments. Scrapbooking does that for me in a sense because I notice the importance of little moments more since I'm always looking for things I want to record. I could go on and on and on about scrapbooking so I'll just stop now. =)
It is always nice when they finish a big test. Don't worry Adam, we know you well enough to know that you are not one to sit around.
Jennie- it's so good to hear from you! I am so happy to see what you guys are up to! Your kiddos are getting so big, I love the Halloween pics! Oh- and thanks for the reminder on the right perspective in life. It is so true, but with the craziness of life I have to remind myself those same things everyday!!
Post a Comment