We love homemade ice cream, but several years ago our ice cream maker gave out. I happened upon a recipe that said ice cream could be made in resealable plastic baggies, or one container that fits inside another. The wheels started turning.
I have this inexplicable need to save containers that I think will come in useful at some point. I'm not a pack rat, except when it comes to said containers. From my stash I came up with a large cannery can and a peanut butter jar.
We put the ice cream ingredients in the peanut butter (peta-butta if you're Meredith) jar then set it inside the large can. We filled it with a couple of layers of crushed ice and rock salt.
Then I put my child laborers to work. They rolled the contraption back and forth, asking every two minutes if they could eat the ice cream yet.
After 20 minutes it was at a soft-serve stage and everyone LOVED it. I called it ghetto cream because not only was it made in random containers, I served it to the kids in recycled yogurt cups! I know, very high class.
This picture has nothing to do with the ice cream session, but I thought it was funny.It was one of those times where the kids had been playing and then it got quiet. When Adam went to check on them, he found them having a leisurely read in "the boat."


1 comment:
Looks yummy and fun to make!!! I guess you didn't need the ice cream maker!!
Post a Comment