I absolutely love living in Michigan—especially in the fall! Being from the West, I never knew much about the Midwest, much less thought I’d live here, but I’m so glad I do. I love sweaters, windy days, warm drinks, “fall drives,” cider mills, and pumpkin patches. Michigan provides the perfect fall backdrop for all of those favorites. The leaves on the trees are just starting to change here and it is magnificent.
Adam has had the last two days off. Today we took the kids and went to Verhage Cider Mill. It was fun to see how they make the cider and to enjoy some of the fresh doughnuts. We also bought some apples and had our first attempt at homemade applesauce; we’ll definitely be doing this again! Getting the apples prepared is a little work, but then you just toss it into the crock pot with a bit of sugar and cinnamon, and a couple hours later it is a heavenly concoction! Here’s the applesauce recipe I found on recipezaar.com:
4 lbs apples, cored and sliced thin
1/2 cup sugar (I used ¼ c. white and ¼ c. brown)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I added nutmeg too)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions
Mix apples (about 12 cups) with cinnamon and sugar and put into crock pot.
Pour water and lemon juice over apples. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Stir the apples (they should turn saucy with a few stirs). It you want a thicker consistency just leave the crock pot on the high setting with the lid off for about 30 minutes.
This is pure delight straight from the crock pot, cold from the refrigerator, or someone even suggested using it over ice cream with a bit of caramel sauce. Apples have never had it so good!
Adam has had the last two days off. Today we took the kids and went to Verhage Cider Mill. It was fun to see how they make the cider and to enjoy some of the fresh doughnuts. We also bought some apples and had our first attempt at homemade applesauce; we’ll definitely be doing this again! Getting the apples prepared is a little work, but then you just toss it into the crock pot with a bit of sugar and cinnamon, and a couple hours later it is a heavenly concoction! Here’s the applesauce recipe I found on recipezaar.com:
4 lbs apples, cored and sliced thin
1/2 cup sugar (I used ¼ c. white and ¼ c. brown)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I added nutmeg too)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions
Mix apples (about 12 cups) with cinnamon and sugar and put into crock pot.
Pour water and lemon juice over apples. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Stir the apples (they should turn saucy with a few stirs). It you want a thicker consistency just leave the crock pot on the high setting with the lid off for about 30 minutes.
This is pure delight straight from the crock pot, cold from the refrigerator, or someone even suggested using it over ice cream with a bit of caramel sauce. Apples have never had it so good!


2 comments:
I'm writing that one down it sounds soooo good!! Over ice cream...even better. I love fall, thanks for the recipe.
Oh my goodness, that sounds incredible! Lord knows I've got enough apples from our trip to the orchard! :)
Post a Comment